Town Hall

Strengthening cultural facilities

A thriving art and culture sector requires the right facilities to showcase talent. Some of Wellington’s facilities are not fit-for-purpose and require upgrading, and key facilities are missing from the city’s repertoire. In 2019/20, work will progress to reinstate the St James Theatre and Town Hall. There have been some changes to these two projects since we released Our 10-Year Plan.

Town Hall

Wellington’s Town Hall has significant cultural value as a focal-point for democratic, social and community activities. Through the 2018-28 10-Year Plan, the Council approved a budget of $97.4 million to strengthen and refurbish the building, following its closure after the Seddon Earthquake in 2013. The approval was linked to the granting of a long-term lease to the NZ Symphony Orchestra (NZSO) and Victoria University School of Music (VUW) to create a music hub. Since the approval in Our 10-Year Plan further testing, investigation, design and the tendering process has occurred. We now have a better understanding of the extent and likely cost of the works required to strengthen and restore the Town Hall.

Revised cost for the Town Hall project is $112.4 million excluding contingency and is due to start mid-2019 and take four years to complete. The costs have increased as the structural and ground conditions make it a highly complex project. The highly competitive construction market has also impacted on the project costs. It is proposed that the Annual Plan budget is revised to accommodate the revised timing and higher than budgeted cost.

This project would see the Council retain 40 percent of the total occupancy. NZSO and VUW will share access to the remaining 60 percent, creating a music hub with three shared performance spaces. This will enhance the city’s reputation as a vibrant, centre for the arts, while also bringing in rental revenue. The design will restore public access to Town Hall facilities through events, public Council meetings and pedestrian access between Wakefield Street and Civic Square.

To find out more about the history of the Town Hall as well as the strengthening work visit Wellington City Council's website.

Strengthening cultural facilities

A thriving art and culture sector requires the right facilities to showcase talent. Some of Wellington’s facilities are not fit-for-purpose and require upgrading, and key facilities are missing from the city’s repertoire. In 2019/20, work will progress to reinstate the St James Theatre and Town Hall. There have been some changes to these two projects since we released Our 10-Year Plan.

Town Hall

Wellington’s Town Hall has significant cultural value as a focal-point for democratic, social and community activities. Through the 2018-28 10-Year Plan, the Council approved a budget of $97.4 million to strengthen and refurbish the building, following its closure after the Seddon Earthquake in 2013. The approval was linked to the granting of a long-term lease to the NZ Symphony Orchestra (NZSO) and Victoria University School of Music (VUW) to create a music hub. Since the approval in Our 10-Year Plan further testing, investigation, design and the tendering process has occurred. We now have a better understanding of the extent and likely cost of the works required to strengthen and restore the Town Hall.

Revised cost for the Town Hall project is $112.4 million excluding contingency and is due to start mid-2019 and take four years to complete. The costs have increased as the structural and ground conditions make it a highly complex project. The highly competitive construction market has also impacted on the project costs. It is proposed that the Annual Plan budget is revised to accommodate the revised timing and higher than budgeted cost.

This project would see the Council retain 40 percent of the total occupancy. NZSO and VUW will share access to the remaining 60 percent, creating a music hub with three shared performance spaces. This will enhance the city’s reputation as a vibrant, centre for the arts, while also bringing in rental revenue. The design will restore public access to Town Hall facilities through events, public Council meetings and pedestrian access between Wakefield Street and Civic Square.

To find out more about the history of the Town Hall as well as the strengthening work visit Wellington City Council's website.